www.melissahaeffner.com

Thursday, February 25, 2010

I want to be Martha Nussbaum when I grow up

I recently had to write a summary of Nussbaum's thoughts on world citizenship for a project I was working on. Below is a review of her article based on her longer work, Cultivating Humanity. Anyone who is a teacher or a student should have a firm grasp of these concepts. It's why we do the way we do things here in America. Nussbaum is talking specifically about higher ed, but there is no reason why kids should have to wait until they're 18 to learn about the world.


Nussbaum, M. 2002. “Education for Citizenship of Global Connection” Studies in Philosophy and Education 21:4-5 pp289-303.

The theoretical argument for introducing global connection in the curriculum has been debated in academia as a way to promote citizenship in the critical thinking tradition of Socrates, Seneca and Thomas Paine. Martha Nussbaum of the University of Chicago, in particular, outlines three primary capabilities that global connection provides: 1) ability to lead what Socrates called “the examined life” in reflection of one’s own traditions; 2) ability to think as a citizen of the world in addition to national or local loyalties; and 3) ability to use what she terms ‘the narrative imagination,’ or ability to step in another’s shoes. Without these three capabilities, she argues, students are left to see their lives only through the self-interested instrument of market exchange. What global connection does to a student is to allow them to see complex humanity, engage in the political activity of arguing to search for a good answers, and develop logic skills to test for consistency of reasoning, correctness of fact and accuracy of judgment. Nussbaum argues that students of all disciplines must master these skills in order to be effective citizens in the globalized world in which we live. 


Dr. Nussbaum teaches at the University of Chicago in the Philosophy Department. Hmmm, it will take me a few years to put together an application for uchicago. Of course, I would want to try for the PhD/JD option which means I would have to re-take the LSAT and GRE because they will both be expired by the time I'm ready to apply. I will have to take some philosophy courses to prepare me, but my sociology background is a solid foundation to go "backwards" into the philosophers that my theorists (Marx, Durkheim, Weber) were responding to. There are a couple of uchicago-ers doing philosophy of social science and critical race theory, so I think I could make a place for myself there. Plus, you have to pass a test in Latin, Greek, French or German before you can graduate. I will have to start on that now. Since I've studied German before and I suck at languages, I suppose I should choose that one, especially to read the authors I want to read. It will take me a few years to prepare for this route, especially if I get the PMF and go work with Cass Sunstein in the OMB (wouldn't that be something!). What if Martha retires before I get there like Angela Davis did at Santa Cruz???

No comments:

Post a Comment